Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Puff the Magic Dragon Lives On



Thing 3 is now two.  He has a love-hate relationship with dragons.  He gets scared when he sees them but he wants me to sing songs about them.  His favorite song right now is, of course, "Puff the Magic Dragon".

"Seen dagon mommy. Rub back." he says, indicating he wants me to sing the Puff song while rubbing his back.  I LOVE this!  I could do it forever, if my back didn't get tired and my other boys didn't need the same type of attention, and the dishes weren't harping on my. Okay, forget about the dishes, we don't really need them anyway.

When Thing 1 was about four years old I sang "Puff" to him and he cried.  I guess I sang it a little too dirge like, as my dear husband would say.  But I want to cry when I sing it, too, because it tells a rather sad story. Now Thing 1 won't ever let me sing "Puff" when he is around.  I never attempted to sing it to Thing 2 because I didn't want to traumatize him.  To avoid this with Think 3 I made up my own little final verse. Now I love this song even more and am thinking of sending it off to Peter, Paul, and Mary for a rewrite.  Just kidding!  Here's the song with  my final verse for you all though.

Happy Tales!
Kristen



Puff the Magic Dragon
by Lenny Lipton 
(with a special verse by me, KS Sandoz)

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea 
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee, 
Little Jackie paper loved that rascal puff, 
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff. oh! 


Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail 
Jackie kept a lookout perched on puffs gigantic tail, 
Noble kings and princes would bow whenever they came, 
Pirate ships would lower their flag when puff roared out his name. oh! 

A dragon lives forever but not so little boys 
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys. 
One grey night it happened, Jackie paper came no more 
And puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar. 

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain, 
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane. 
Without his life-long friend, puff could not be brave, 
So puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave. oh! 

Little Manny Sandoz one day he found that cave,
He crawled right in and woke great Puff and they began to play. oh!
Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea 
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee, 
Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea 
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, cute! Funny (sort of) that Thing 1 was traumatized. Great solution.

Kristen said...

Cherice, I just noticed that you left a comment. So exciting! Yes, funny and sad. Poor thing. It's too bad because it is such a good song :(