Skip to main content

Birthday Crowns

It's Thing 1's birthday.  One special little thing I've done to honor them as individuals is make them a Birthday Crown.  Each boy has his own crown.  It's part of our dress up box actually.  They get used in all kinds of ways all year long.  These crowns are nothing too fancy.  I used scraps of felt and left over elastic and hand drew a crown pattern on paper.  Then I sewed them together.  Each year the boys pick out a new button to add to the crown.  Just today Thing 1 said, "Man, what will this thing look like when I'm in 12th grade?"  I wonder too!

The first two boys' crowns are very similar because I did them at the same time.  Thing 3's crown is a little different and frankly I like his the best (but don't tell!)  I just finished his today.  Which is sad because his birthday was almost two months ago.  We haven't even celebrated his special day yet.  But we will if for no other reason than to get a staged picture so when he's 18 years old, and looking through pictures for his graduation slide show, he will think we actually had a first birthday for him.  Poor little third boy! 

Apparently lazy is the theme I'm going for with Thing 3 because I felt lazy today when I went to finally make his crown.  I just didn't feel like hauling my heavy sewing machine out to the kitchen table so I decided to hand stitch it with scraps of embrodery floss I had lying around.  It turned out so whimsical and sweet.  The brothers picked out his first year button and it was a perfect choice.  What do you think?


Happy Tales!
Kristen

ps. I believe my original inspiration for these crowns was from Soulemama.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go. Heal Thyself, Girl!

Go.   Heal Thyself, Girl! A story of personal healing Ever since I gave birth to Thing 1, I’ve struggled with slouching.   I figured it was a combination of things:   engorged breasts that would have won money in a wet t-shirt contest, muscle fatigue from holding a well-fed baby, and stomach muscles that had been stretched beyond reason.   Two more babies and nine more years under my belt, and I’m still struggling with slouching.   In fact, it’s been getting worse.   For at least the last year and a half, I’ve been consciously trying to fix the problem.   I check in with myself regularly throughout the day: “Am I slouching?   Yes!   Stop that!” I’ve been working on my core, trying to bolster those muscles and give my shoulders a break.   All to no avail.   What is my problem?   I was a dancer for heaven's sake.   Dancers don’t slouch!   They have lovely posture (and small breasts, I might add). ...

Book Review: Good Pictures, Bad Pictures

Good Pictures, Bad Pictures Porn-Proofing Today's Kids   Two years ago when my then six and nine year old boys were inadvertently exposed to pornography by a neighbor boy I dove into educating myself on this topic.   Despite my best efforts to protect them from this exact type of thing, I had failed.   My heart was broken, yet I was determined to do what I needed to in order to help them through this.   According to Internetsaftey101.com seven out of ten youth have accidentally come across pornography online and American children begin consuming hardcore pornography at an average age of 11.   On top of that four out of five 16 year olds view pornography on a regular basis.   Fight the New Drug claims they often get emails from six year olds sharing about their addictions to porn. These are frightening statistics.   Part of me wants to discount them as being overly aggressive for shock value, but then I realize even if these stats are cut...

Sleep Problems, a Book Review, & an Ah Ha Moment

Sleep is a problem in our house.   First, Thing 3, now a year old, wakes anywhere from four to six times a night to nurse.   Thing 1 will lay awake until 10 pm waiting for his Melatonin to kick in.     My dear sweet husband often doesn’t fall asleep until 2 am thanks to a crazy work schedule, restless leg issues, and the failure of his Melatonin to do its job.   Finally, Thing 2 wakes frequently with nightmares.   All of their sleep problems become my sleep problems.   Nice. Out of sheer desperation I recently bought an Ebook titled Ready,Set, Sleep by Malia Jacobson .   It was only $10 so I thought I had nothing to lose buying a self-published book.   I was drawn to the book because of Jacobson’s statement “that parents are regularly given outdated sleep advice laden with value judgments instead of simple, fact-based tactics that work”.   That has certainly been my experience.   She went on to say that sleep science is...