Skip to main content

A Jar full of Stories

Through out the year my boys bring me things they find outside that are interesting to them.  They remind me of how cats bring the entrails of their prey or the bodies of dead snakes and lay them on their owner's porches.  It's so endearing.  My boys bring these offerings of love because they are compelled to have their interests justified by the person who means the most to them.  That person is lucky enough to be me!  

I put all of these special little things on the ledge of my kitchen window.  I see them everyday.  Each month the sill fills with more and more fascinating objects.  I LOVE this ledge!  It makes me so happy to look at it.  These are the best gifts my boys could ever give me.  Unfortunately, my window ledge is only so big and pretty much every year in order to make more room for the treasures to come I have to clean off the sill and start with a fresh canvas.  This has always made me so sad.  I remember the year my boys found a bird nest that was like a little sack hanging off of a stick.  It had all kinds of different string woven into it from horse hair to plastic tinsel.  I didn't know what to do with it so I snapped a picture and mournfully threw it away. 

Never again!  This year I figured out the perfect way to keep these beautiful gifts.  I saved a Yankee Candle jar from Christmas thinking it was too good to just throw out.  Surely, there was something I could put in it!  Yes, yes there was.  I cleaned the wax out and then I put the contents of my window ledge in it.  I added a simple tag with the year on it and attached it with twine.  I will keep this jar and all the jars to come in my bed room on a shelf.  It is decorated kind of like a vintage nature book.  Perfect!

The result?  A story in a jar!  A true lifetime treasure that will make me cry when I am 80 years old.  Here is my results.

Can you see what I see?  A heart rock, part of a robin's egg, acorn tops, agates, a beetle, and a dove feather. 

 
What's your story in a jar?
 
Kristen

Comments

Nancy Thomas said…
I love it, Kristen! What a great idea.

Popular posts from this blog

Go. Heal Thyself, Girl!

Go.   Heal Thyself, Girl! A story of personal healing Ever since I gave birth to Thing 1, I’ve struggled with slouching.   I figured it was a combination of things:   engorged breasts that would have won money in a wet t-shirt contest, muscle fatigue from holding a well-fed baby, and stomach muscles that had been stretched beyond reason.   Two more babies and nine more years under my belt, and I’m still struggling with slouching.   In fact, it’s been getting worse.   For at least the last year and a half, I’ve been consciously trying to fix the problem.   I check in with myself regularly throughout the day: “Am I slouching?   Yes!   Stop that!” I’ve been working on my core, trying to bolster those muscles and give my shoulders a break.   All to no avail.   What is my problem?   I was a dancer for heaven's sake.   Dancers don’t slouch!   They have lovely posture (and small breasts, I might add). ...

Book Review: Good Pictures, Bad Pictures

Good Pictures, Bad Pictures Porn-Proofing Today's Kids   Two years ago when my then six and nine year old boys were inadvertently exposed to pornography by a neighbor boy I dove into educating myself on this topic.   Despite my best efforts to protect them from this exact type of thing, I had failed.   My heart was broken, yet I was determined to do what I needed to in order to help them through this.   According to Internetsaftey101.com seven out of ten youth have accidentally come across pornography online and American children begin consuming hardcore pornography at an average age of 11.   On top of that four out of five 16 year olds view pornography on a regular basis.   Fight the New Drug claims they often get emails from six year olds sharing about their addictions to porn. These are frightening statistics.   Part of me wants to discount them as being overly aggressive for shock value, but then I realize even if these stats are cut...

Sleep Problems, a Book Review, & an Ah Ha Moment

Sleep is a problem in our house.   First, Thing 3, now a year old, wakes anywhere from four to six times a night to nurse.   Thing 1 will lay awake until 10 pm waiting for his Melatonin to kick in.     My dear sweet husband often doesn’t fall asleep until 2 am thanks to a crazy work schedule, restless leg issues, and the failure of his Melatonin to do its job.   Finally, Thing 2 wakes frequently with nightmares.   All of their sleep problems become my sleep problems.   Nice. Out of sheer desperation I recently bought an Ebook titled Ready,Set, Sleep by Malia Jacobson .   It was only $10 so I thought I had nothing to lose buying a self-published book.   I was drawn to the book because of Jacobson’s statement “that parents are regularly given outdated sleep advice laden with value judgments instead of simple, fact-based tactics that work”.   That has certainly been my experience.   She went on to say that sleep science is...